About us


History
In 1943 a new Stamford drama group performed 'Man of Destiny' in the High School Hall. Membership of Stamford Music & Drama Club was 7/6d for adults and 3/6d for junior members. The group performed two plays each year at a variety of venues - Stamford School, George Hotel Gardens, Bourne Corn Exchange before finally working mainly from the Darby & Joan Hall in Stamford’s Broad Street.
In September 1959 Stamford Music & Drama Club became Stamford Amateur Stage, performing up to five productions a year. In March 1963 the company's name was changed again to Stamford Shoestring Theatre because it seemed that every production was run on a shoestring budget! Shoestring finally established a permanent home in the delightful Georgian Stamford Theatre in 1978 where it remains to this day as the resident company at Stamford Arts Centre.

Today
We offer a wide range of drama from classical to contemporary and try to incorporate a rich variety in our annual programme. We stage four productions a year together with occasional road-shows, workshops and play-readings. We are lucky enough also to be part of the roster of visiting companies to the beautiful Minack Theatre in Cornwall, and will be performing there once again during the 2019 Summer season.
Our hugely successful 2017 season took in Moliere (Tartuffe) before visiting Richard Bean (One Man, Two Guv’nors), Shelagh Stephenson (Memory of Water) and finishing with a sell-out run of Jessica Swale’s delightful romp, Nell Gwynn.
We like to ring the changes and our public seem to like it too: the leading actors in one production will often be found selling programmes or sweeping the stage in the next. We are proud of the wealth of talent amongst our members; not just centre stage but in stage design, lighting, sound and costume. To find out more about Shoestring email our Chairman.

About us